Saturday, October 6, 2012

Gensler Job Shadow

During the study tour I had a chance to go to Gensler for a job shadow and found it an insightful experience into a more commercial aspect of design. At the start of the day I spoke with Bruce, who is their main sustainability person and was able to learn about how the building they are located in is sustainable. I then  learned about a few different projects they were working on and was able to sit in on material and lighting meetings. During lunch I was able to sit down with a Senior Associate, Susana, and discuss what skills firms are looking for in a designer. She told me that computer skills are important but hand drafting skills are a constant necessity in design. To be able to communicate ideas quickly is extremely important in the business. I was also able to show my online portfolio and explain some of the previous projects I have completed. Susana told me that in the preliminary vetting an online portfolio is what they look at mainly, but once it comes to one-on-one meetings physical items to showcase are important too. In the end it was a wonderful time spent in their firm, seeing what kinds of things they do day-to-day. After my time there I find I am very interested in working there once I graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment